Friday, February 1, 2013

Freezer Meals: Italian Pie

This is another favorite recipe from my childhood. It's easy to make but takes a little more prep time since it is making a pie. It also freezes well before and after cooking. I usually double the recipe so I don't go through all the work twice.

For one pie you will need:
1 lb. Italian sausage, cooked (I used one lb for two pies and no one was the wiser)
6 eggs (I leave them out due to allergies and have no problem so they aren't a necessity)
2 packages (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 lb shredded mozzarella
2/3 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
two pie crusts
marinara sauce (I use my pizza sauce recipe)

First mix the sausage, eggs, spinach, cheeses, salt, and garlic together, blending well.


Roll out one pie crust to fit your pie plate.


Place the rolled out dough in the pie plate and fill with the topping.


Cover with a second rolled out pie crust.



When you are ready to eat them bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. You can make 8-10 servings.



We like it with a spoon of warmed marinara or pizza sauce on the top.


If you want to freeze them first, wrap well in plastic wrap and a top layer of foil. 



Defrost for 24 hours before baking.

In the past, before we had kids, I would bake one of these up and freeze the individual pieces wrapped up in saran wrap for Nathan's lunch. It made an easy grab-n-go meal for the nights when we didn't have left overs for him to take.

Let me know if you try this one out. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Din said...

Mmmmm! I love this recipe as well! The last time I made it, I used phyllo dough and was instructed that in the future, all italian pie will come wrapped in phyllo dough. Or, that it ought to. ;) I don't think I've ever froze it, and.. I definitely use different quantities of stuff. I think I use 6 boxes of spinach and 8 eggs... for two pies. I obviously don't have a recipe! BUT, I like the way you do it, since it'd be cheaper! :) Good job!

pistolsnprincesses said...

We had this for dinner last night and it was so good. It freezes really well and is a nice treat. Making pei crust with butter makes the crust flakier and oh so nummy.

Unknown said...

Definitely going to try this! -Kari Coppinger