Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Freezer Meals: Pie Crust

Rumor has it that my paternal grandma wasn't the greatest in the kitchen. Her mom, Old-old Grandma, was a fantastic cook, but for some reason Grandma Ann didn't inherit that skill. This recipe is one of the few things, I'm told, that she made well.

What is it about recipes from older generations that makes you feel closer to them? When I make pie crust I think of Dr. Pepper, Avon, and Grandma Ann's cackle. She had the best cackle.

This is the only pie crust I use. It's easy to make and freezes well. I don't know how long you are allowed to freeze it, but I will be honest and say I've used one that was in the freezer for at least a year. At least. Apparently I need to make pie more.

Grandma Ann's Pie Crust

You will need:

4 c. flour
1&1/2 tsp salt
1tablespoon sugar
1&3/4 c. Shortening or butter
1/2 c. Cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 egg or egg substitute

Mix the first three ingredients together. Cut in butter or shortening (I no longer use shortnening #1 because it is made from soy and I'm allergic and #2 I read Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food and #3 Butter is better). Mix last three ingredients together in a separate bowl and add to flour mixture. Mix well.



Divide into 4 balls.


Wrap individually.


Do yourself a favor and label them and then freeze. Unless you need them right away, of course.


When I plan to use the dough I pull it out the night before and let it thaw. I'll be posting a dinner recipe in the next few weeks that will use this crust.

Do you have many recipes from older relatives? Does making them stir up fun memories?

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Din said...

You know, I found this EXACT recipe in the Better Homes and Garden's cook book. :) Funny how I always assumed it was HER recipe because that's what we call it. Also, I make my "balls" of dough flat.. do you leave yours in ball form? Just a wonder.

pistolsnprincesses said...

I knew it wasn't an original, but I didn't know where she got it. I leave them in ball form