Monday, February 4, 2013

2013 Book List

I know that technically these posts were supposed to come out in the first month of the year, but I was busy. And I was still perfecting my list.

I love reading. I love books. If you were to come into my house you would know this right away as this is the beast that greets you at the door:

The empty shelf is where I keep the diaper bag for now. Until I get more books.

My dream house has a large library with a rolling ladder, like the one in Beauty and the Beast, and a deep window seat covered in fluffy pillows and quilts. And a place for my coffee. Since I know that dream is a ways off I let myself have a smaller dream: to fill this book shelf. This last summer I bought over 200 books at garage sales.

We also have three baskets of kids books in our family room. We read a lot.




Last year I, personally, read at least 32 books. Most of them were fiction. Most of them I could hardly give you precise details about. I read for pleasure. Not for memorization.

This year I decided I need to add some depth to my reading list and have picked many books to encourage my mind, spirit, and soul. These books take me longer to read through because I actually try to retain some of the information. And that takes work.

Last winter I started a Book Club on facebook with some fellow bookworms. We were really faithful until my computer died at the end of spring and I moved out for two months so we could remodel our bathroom. But we read some fun books!

Anyways, we are trying to get going again but we are all so busy. I don't have the reading list for that yet so I'm just going to tell you what I plan to read on my own this year.

For my morning devotional time:

The Bible
I've never read the Bible cover to cover and this year Abiah and HH are doing this with me. Abiah and I are using BibleStudyTools.com. HH is using an app on his phone.

Do What You Can
I read this ebook in January and really recommend it. It was simple to read and every day I walked away with a piece of encouragement.

David: 90 Days with a Heart Like His
This is a Beth Moore study that I got last fall and have wanted to do for years. This is next on my "morning devo" plan.

Lose It for Life & coordinating workbook
I have the workbook and am waiting for the book to come. After hearing some personal testimonies I've decided to add this study to my plan for the year. I'm excited to get started.

Dare to Be
I picked this devotional up at the Dare to Be conference in Portland a few weeks ago. I was inspired and challenged to begin dreaming again and I want that to continue.

Practical Theology for Women
I started this book last summer and never finished. I hate not finishing a book! Especially one I enjoyed.

As a Wife:
I'd like to add a few more books to this category. Any suggestions?

The Power of a Praying Wife

Sheet Music

As a Momma:
I'm not sure I'll get through this whole list this year, but I'd like to read all of these at some point.

For the Children's Sake

Shepherding a Child's Heart

Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood

The Mother at Home

The Missional Mom

The Hidden Art of Homemaking

The Well Trained Mind


As a Bookworm:
Most of these are books I bought at garage sales last year and want to read.

The Innocence of Father Brown

The Phantom of the Opera
Almost finished!

The Man Who Was Thursday

The Glass Castle

Howard's End

Marta and the Nazis

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

The Help

The Woman Who Would Be Queen


What are you reading this year? Have you read any that are on my list?

No comments: