Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Spicing Things Up

I decided to clean out my spice cupboard recently. I thought this would be a good time to talk about the spices I like and where I buy them. I could sense that you really needed this information from me.

Spice/medicine cupboard contents
 It also gave me an excuse to throw out the containers of spices that I've had since we got married. Almost 8 years ago. Apparently I'm a spice rebel and don't replace mine every 6 months like you're supposed to.

An unsolicited Tip for Seasonings: Unless you use a specific seasoning often, buy the smallest container possible. This: insures fresh seasoning flavor, saves you some money, and spares you the guilt of throwing out a Costco size container of dried Basil. Just sayin'.

My favorite place to shop for spices that I use often, but not in large quantities, is Penzy's. The spices are high quality and so fresh. I can definitely taste a difference in my recipes. I used to buy most things in bulk at Winco or in the little plastic bottles. Penzy's has won my heart one delicious spice at a time. I'll be replace my 8 year old products with Penzy's.

Another drawing point for me is that Penzy's carries spices that don't contain soy which helps me! Also, if you subscribe to get their catalog you get great coupons for free or greatly discounted products. Give 'em a try!


For my everyday spices that I use often I turn to Costco. 
Italian Seasoning, Taco Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Pepper, Cinnamon, and Vanilla
 A few random items from Winco:
The best Asada(o) seasoning
 My Trader Joe's picks:
Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Olive Oil cooking spray

Where do you stock up on seasonings?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I puffy heart Penzy.