Friday, January 11, 2013

Freezer Meals...kinda: Pork Steaks in Mushroom Gravy

This is a favorite from childhood. You can use beef or elk steaks with this recipe also. We don't eat pork often, but this is one of my favorite recipes for it.

There's two ways of cooking this. The all day version and the hour-and-a-half version. First I'll give you the all day version.

You'll need: Pork steaks, seasoning salt, cream of mushroom soup (large can of Campbells or two of the cute boxed ones), three or four large sliced mushrooms (optional), and half a can of water.




Layer the steaks in the crockpot, seasoning each one liberally as you go. Top with sliced mushrooms.


In a separate bowl mix together soup and water and pour it over the meat. 


Cook on low for 6-8 hours. The meat should be so tender it falls off the bone. I shred the meat and serve it over rice (below) or mashed potatoes.



The package of meat I used had four large steaks and that will feed our family twice including HH taking some for lunch at work. You can freeze the leftovers or save them for later in the week when you need a leftovers night.

And here's the short cooking version. I don't have pictures for an aid, but I'm sure you'll get it.

First, you'll want to place the meat on a broiling pan and brown under the broiler for about 7 minutes on each side. Remove steaks to a 9x13 and top with mushrooms. Add juices from broiling pan to soup and water mixture and pour over steaks. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Enjoy! And let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

MamaHen said...

I don't think I have ever cooked with Pork Steaks before. This would be a good meal to make up several ahead of time, freeze them in freezer bags, and then pop into the crock pot. Thanks for the suggestion.

pistolsnprincesses said...

I bet you could! I'm so new to the "freeze before crockpot-ing" idea. And I like it! Thanks for the idea!