Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When Jesus Helps With The Laundry

The other night Nathan and I watched a movie called Conversations With God. It's the story based on Neale Walsch's journey to writing a book with the same title as the movie. I'm no good at recapping stories so I'll tell you what I got out of it.

God is everywhere and in everything. We are constantly conversing with Him. Most of the time we don't realize it though. I have often hoped, as a SAHM with minimal adult interaction, that when my mind is taken over by an army of random thoughts, frustrations and concerns that hopefully God was listening to that insanity and would see it as a prayer. As jumbled and crazy as it is. And after watching this movie I wanted to be aware of how much God was in the everyday tiny-to-me details of my life.

So today I'm sorting dirty laundry and thinking about this when I picked some clothes up to sort through and a few items fall down on the pile of dirty dark clothes. I looked down and realize that the clothes that fell belonged in that pile anyways and the clothes in my hands all belonged in the pile of light clothes.

I laughed to myself and thought, "Thanks Jesus for helping me with the laundry!" While I was debating about whether people would think I am crazy for thinking Jesus helps me sort dirty laundry I grabbed more clothes to sort. A small white sock fell on top of the dark clothes pile and I laughed once again and said, "Jesus, that's the wrong pile."

After moving the sock to the correct pile I wondered if people would think it was disrespectful of me to talk to God that way. There are those who say God has a sense of humor though so maybe this would fit into that category. I continued sorting as I debated this with myself.

After a few minutes I looked down and saw that I had placed some dark clothes on the light clothes pile.

I just had to laughed out loud.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

LOL! That's too hilarious. I love moments like that, though!

christy rose said...

Shiree,
I so believe that God is in the small things and the big things and everything. And He helps us in whatever way we ask Him too. His longing is to be in every aspect of our lives even in the laundry. And yes He does have a great sense of humor.

pistolsnprincesses said...

Christy, I do too! And it's a great reminder for me lately when I'm wiping bottoms and folding clothes and feeling like I'm not doing anything grand and glorious. My Mom was wonderful to remind just last week that the things we do as moms are great because they are done for those who can't do them for themselves. I hope that makes sense.

LaFonda Dunlap said...

I love this! I also believe that God is in all the small things as well as the big ones.I also love your friendship with Him!