Monday, November 16, 2009

I Knew This Day Would Come

Before you have children you are really unaware of, well, most things, but namely your own personal quirks or tendencies. Like the use of certain words you would never say in front of Grandma, or your inhibitions with your bodily functions/noises when others aren't around.

When Abiah moved in with us at age 3 he had already used a few choice words learned from others and he wasn't new to the idea of clearing a room with one small toot. We have had instances where we know he learned something from us and we've worked at correcting those areas in ourselves. But I think every kid helps to peel back one more layer from us as they pick up on words and tendencies the others haven't.

So, as Hazel has started talking more and more I've tried to remind myself to watch what I am saying because one day she's gonna repeat something I don't want repeated. And today I had another humorous reminder.

We were doing some puzzles together this morning and as she picked one up all the pieces fell out onto the coffee table and floor. She stopped, looked at the puzzle and said, "Thoot!"

I was instantly in stitches and could hardly talk. My husband thought she might have said something worse but thankfully she hasn't learned that one yet. I don't mind her saying this word but I need to make sure I'm not teaching her others!


(Innocent Little Princess)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since my kids were little they have loved to play in diaper boxes and laundry baskets. Abiah usually pulls the girls around the room or on a rare occasion he gets one to himself and pulls himself around.


(Abiah pulling Hazel around. 2008)

We spend most of our time on the bottom story of our two story house and up until today I haven't had to worry about the chance of the kids going down the stairs in one of their "boats". However, since our bed rooms and changing table are upstairs and I usually have those big diaper boxes or a laundry basket sitting at the top of the stairs waiting for me I have tried to prepare myself for the day when a boat trip down the stairs might sneak into their creative minds. Today was that day.

I was standing at the changing table in the hallway changing Amelia and Abiah had just unloaded the diapers from the box onto the shelf. I glanced over at him to find him in the box, partway hanging over the top step, holding onto the hand rail. This was the conversation we had:

Me: Abiah! What are you doing?

Abiah: (while looking totally guilty) I was gonna ride down the stairs in the box.

Me: You'll crash and break your neck! Get out of there!

Abiah: That's what I was worried about.

Of course he had to prove his theory by sending his sister's dolly down on a few test runs. His conclusion. "You're right, Mom!" At least this time it only caused dolly trauma for him to come to that conclusion.


(My Little Pirate)

5 comments:

Jon and Vicki Marney said...

Shiree,
You are doing a great job with your blogs! They are cute, humorous and fun to read and your kids are adorable. It is fun to read and remember when you were the age of your kids. Keep up the good job of being momma and wife to a great family. You have had a great teacher!
Your friend,
Vicki

pistolsnprincesses said...

Thanks Vicki! It does seem like ages ago doesn't it. And yes, I had an amazing teacher.

LaFonda Dunlap said...

This is so funny! We love reading these too! Dad agree's with you and Vicki, he says he was an amazing teacher. So thanks to both of you for your kind words. Loving you always, mom

Hannah said...

Haha, I'm glad he agreed with you and decided to listen!! LOL

joettafort said...

I love that Abiah was at least thinking about it, even though, being a boy, he was about to go for it.