Thursday, November 19, 2009

Crockpot Ragout

I was reading through a list of crockpot recipes over at Passionate Homemaking and found this wonderfully easy recipe for Ragout. I was hesitant to even read through these recipes at first because I know I don't cook as naturally as they are written out. But I was delighted to find this one and a few others that are healthy, simple and consist of ingredients I already purchase. I altered the recipe slightly so the original is here if you want to check it out too.

Crockpot Ragout

1 lb. burger (P.H. uses turkey burger. I used elk.)
1 onion
6 carrots
4 potatoes
green beans, peas, corn (These are optional or you can just add what you have. I only had frozen corn so that's what I used. Mixed veggies would work, too.)
seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning
1&1/2 C. water

Brown the burger. Add seasonings as desired. I over seasoned the meat as it is the only seasoning for the whole dish. Layer ingredients in crockpot: burger, potatoes, carrots, onion, optional veggies. Pour water over the top. In a crockpot cook: 6 hrs on low or 2&1/2 - 3 hrs on high. In a pan on the stove cook for 1/2 hr. Serve with ketchup.

See. Simple! It was really nummy, too. It's like meatloaf dinner in a pot. Let me know what you think if you try it.

I'm also looking for more crockpot recipes. Do you have any you'd like to share?

2 comments:

Kelly H. said...

My favorite easy crockpot recipe is Mexican Chicken.

Frozen chicken (I use boneless skinless tenders from Costco and throw in about 8-10).

On top of that toss 1 can of drained black beans and frozen corn (or a can of whole corn would work too.)

Then add a jar of your favorite salsa. No need to stir or anything, just cook for about 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low (or until chicken is cooked through).

When chicken is close to being done, add a block of cream cheese and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Then stir everything together and serve over rice!!!

I have recently come to discover Walmart's Peach Pineapple Chipoltle Salsa and it's rocking my world with this particular recipe. Right amount of sweet with the kick.

pistolsnprincesses said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds amazing and so easy! I try to get 1/3 the fat cream cheese at Winco which totally justifies the cream cheese (if you need a reason to). I'm going to make sure to make this! Thanks Kelly! Let me know if you find anything else.