Monday, August 2, 2010

A Course In Justification: Session 2

I know that we still have about a month before school starts, but I assure you that this is one class you'll want to take year round.

I recently found out that I am allergic to soy and eggs. This has caused some major changes in my shopping and cooking. But the biggest (and saddest) change has been the lack of chocolate around the PnP Castle. Because SOY IS IN EVERYTHING! It's been so long since I've had chocolate that I'm convinced my body is shutting down.

So, for health purposes only, I decided to make a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

How do you make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies without soy and eggs you ask?

Well, I purchased these soy free chocolate chips, which taste exactly like regular chocolate chips. They are a little on the spend-y side, but a momma's gotta do what a momma's gotta do. Which means making these babies last!

To replace eggs in baking there are a few options: egg replacers, or 1/4 cup veggie oil or applesauce per egg. I chose applesauce. Because I'm healthy like that.

So, I made up my favorite recipe. And then I had an epiphany.

No eggs = no salmonella poisoning=eating all the cookie dough!

I think my body is on the mend. I know for sure when I finish of this plate of cookies.


OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Mix together: 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar.

Add: 2 eggs or egg substitute, 1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl mix together: 1&1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt.
Add to creamed mixture.

Mix in 3 cups oatmeal.

Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You crack me up.

LaFonda Dunlap said...

You said it so nicely " a momma's gotta do what a momma's got to do"
Glad you are figuring out how to make things work for you.

Hannah said...

Justification lessons are the best!!